Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
Part I is about the world where Winston Smith lives and his resistance to the oppressive state that controls every part of his life. He knows there’s something wrong and he is desperate to find a way to voice this feeling. As the reader, your job is to understand the setting of 1984 and the mood created in Part I. If we have a good grasp of the details, we can move to the bigger ideas. We are not ants, we are humans. (see page 96).
Goals for the week:
- read Part I
- Written responses
- Analyze the first line It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking 13
- What is the Mood of the story
- Vocabulary list needs to be understood
- Connect the Words sheet completed
- Describe the uses of Irony in the first chapter
- How does Newspeak protect the citizens of Oceania